Investing in yourself and your business with a mastermind.
You know what it’s like when you do something stupid? For instance … spending $10,000 to join a mastermind?
“Did I really just do that?!?”
“What will I tell my husband?!?”
“How will I PAY for it?!?”
Well, that’s exactly what I did back in March 2017.
I joined a mastermind group.
At the time, I had no idea what a mastermind was.
All I knew is that I attended a three-day, in-person training event for small business owners and solopreneurs, and wanted to keep on attending … learning … being challenged … meeting others just like me who are also trying to grow high-earning businesses.
By high-earning, I mean six figures and upward.
I’m not ashamed to say that my personal goal is to be at the helm of a Million Dollar business.
Investing $10,000 to get to $1,000,000 is a pretty decent ROI, wouldn’t you say?
Well of course I didn’t earn $1,000,000 during my first year in the program.
In fact, I didn’t earn much at all.
My first year in the mastermind was also my lowest-earning year EVER.
The number is so low that I’m even ashamed to say it, much less whisper it.
But during that year I also moved closer to my dream of leaving the dollars-for-hours business model, an unsustainable way of creating the life and future I want.
Some of the things I learned in the mastermind moved me closer:
- How to create packages for my writing and editing services; I launched a completely new section of my website called Packages. It looks pretty spiffy; check it out if you’d like.
- How important it is to systematize my business; to that end, I created a get-acquainted-call process that leads prospective clients on a journey designed to highlight my professionalism and requirements. It’s a way to turn away cheapy seekers and attract people who believe in quality as much as I do.
- Why I need online funnels to lead people through the stages of awareness, interest, consideration, and sale. I already knew how funnels operated, but I had yet to create one for my business. Now I have several in place.
- How to BE the owner of a successful business. This I learned from our mastermind’s leader, and the many business owners inside the room with me. At each meeting, a little more of each of these people rubs off onto me, turning me into a greater, bolder vision of myself.
- That I and my services ARE valuable. I didn’t think I needed validation … after all, I know I can write. But to hear it from so many people over the course of the year … especially a year where I made that tiny revenue number … well … that validation kept me going strong in pursuit of my goal.
As my first year’s membership drew to close, I struggled over whether or not to join for a second year. When I joined the first time, I had promised myself (and my husband) that I’d earn more than enough to cover my membership fee.
I did, but just barely.
As I was dickering over whether or not up re-up, I heard an online business guru talking about a mastermind she joined. It cost almost three times as much as my mastermind, and it included so much less.
Her mastermind offered:
- Four, in-person meetups each year (mine did, too)
- Monthly group coaching calls (yep, same here)
- A private Facebook group for ongoing support (ditto)
But that was all.
MY mastermind, in turn, costs a whole lot less, and offers:
- Four, in-person meetups each year
- Monthly group coaching calls with the lead coach
- A private Facebook group
- Quarterly coaching calls with the mastermind owner
- Six strategy coaching calls with a business coach
- Four mindset coaching calls with a mindset coach
- Monthly business strategy trainings inside an online portal
- Monthly mindset trainings inside the same portal
- Access to several other complete online programs for business growth
There’s more, but the point is … it wasn’t until I heard that other online guru talking about HER mastermind that I realized what a mastermind was … and how much value was included with mine.
I had always thought that the “mastermind” was simply the portion of the in-person meetings where we masterminded with other members. I had no idea that the entire program was a mastermind — and how immensely valuable mine was.
So when the time came to renew, I did so with gratitude.
And I plan to do so again next year.
As I’m typing this message, I’m in a hotel following the first of our yearly retreats. It was such a powerful session. I met fabulous people, and learned so much about myself and how to better position the new direction I see for my business.
It’s an exciting direction, one I know is already leading me much closer to my vision of that Million Dollar business, and a life of abundance, gratitude, grace, and sharing.
If you have an opportunity to join a mastermind — DO IT! At least for a year. You have only money to lose, and revenue and mindset growth to gain.
P.S. This blog post is the post for DAY 1 of my free 5 Day Blogging Challenge. Interested in joining for the next round? Join the tribe to stay informed!
Join my tribe?
Do you sweat the small stuff? Do you want your online presence to inspire trust and confidence? Do you grit your teeth when others don't care enough about YOUR web experience? Are you all about creating an excellent website and excellent content that makes it easy for people to get to know, like, and trust you and buy your stuff?
I think we might be soul mates. And I'd love for you to join my tribe.
When you do, I'll alert you to new blog posts, new programs and products, and new ways for you to create excellent, frictionless, online experiences that lead more people to YES! I promise to be relevant and real, and to send only thoughtful content and advice.